Drew Barrymore is an American actress, model, author, producer, director, and entrepreneur. Barrymore belongs to a member of the Barrymore family of actors, and the granddaughter of John Barrymore. She gained popularuty as a child actress with her role in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982). Barrymore has earned numerous accolades, including a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and a BAFTA nomination.
Drew Blyth Barrymore was born at the ‘Brotman Medical Center’ in in Culver City, California on February 22, 1975. She is a daughter of John Drew Barrymore, an actor and Jaid Barrymore, a struggling actress. When Drew was just nine years old, her parents divorced. The lack of a father figure in a life had a negative impact on her life.Barrymore went to elementary school at ‘Fountain Day School’ in West Hollywood. When she was 11 months old, Drew’s first audition was for a ‘Gainsburger’ puppy food commercial. She had already acted in a TV movie called ‘Suddenly, Love’ by the time she turned two.
Some of her other acting projects included a role in ‘Bogie’ and minor roles in TV commercials. Then, she made her debut as a child actor in ‘Altered States’ (1980). In 1982, Drew Barrymore featured in one of the highest-grossing movies of all time, ‘E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial’. She earned a ‘Golden Globe’ nomination as ‘Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture’ for her role in ‘Irreconcilable Differences’ in 1984. By this time, Barrymore had walked into a phase of substance abuse which lasted until she was admitted in a rehab center at the age of 13. However, she came out of this phase successfully and featured in films like ‘Poison Ivy’ (1992), ‘Guncrazy’ (1992) and ‘The Amy Fisher Story’.
Career and Fame of Drew Barrymore
Barrymore made the headlines for posing nude for ‘Playboy’ and exposing herself on live TV in the ‘Late show with David Letterman’. With the launch of her production house ‘Flower Films’ in 1995, Barrymore’s luck changed. The same year, she featured in ‘Boys on the Side’ and ‘Batman Forever’. Barrymore made a cameo appearance in the hit franchise ‘Scream’ in 1996. Also, she starred in the Woody Allen musical ‘Everybody says I love you’. From 1997, she featured in a series of rom-coms like ‘Wishful Thinking’ (1997), ‘Wedding Singer’ (1998), and ‘Home Fries’ (1998). Barrymore’s company produced the hit comedy ‘Never Been Kissed’ in 1999. In 2000, her company released the hit film ‘Charlie’s Angels’. She also played an important role as an actress in ‘Charlie’s Angels’. She trusted in the potential of ‘Donnie Darko’.
In 2002, she earned quite a appreciation for her performance in the biopic ‘Confessions of a Dangerous Mind’. She also earn the status of a highly talented actress. Since 2004, Drew Barrymore has rocked the hat of an actress and producer in several hit movies . The list includes ‘50 First Dates’ (2004), ‘Fever Pitch’ (2005), ‘Music and Lyrics’ (2007), ‘Lucky You’ (2007), ‘Grey Gardens’ (2009), and ‘Going the Distance’ (2010). On August 2, 2011, Barrymore directed the music video of the song ‘Our Deal’ for the band ‘Best Coast’ . Drew appeared as Lauren Reynolds alongside actor Adam Sandler in the 2014 movie ‘Blended’. She also featured with Toni Collette in the movie ‘Miss You Already’ . Barrymore starred in the ‘Netflix’ television series, ‘Santa Clarita Diet’, from 2017 to 2019. She launched a women’s fashion line called ‘Dear Drew’ in conjunction with ‘Amazon’ in 2017.
Awards and Achievements
- In 1982, Barrymore received the ‘Young Artist Award’ for ‘Best Young Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture’ for ‘E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial’ .
- On November 20, 1982, she made a record as the youngest person to have hosted ‘Saturday Night Live’.
- She was honored by the ‘Young Artist Foundation’ with its ‘Former Child Star Lifetime Achievement Award’ for her outstanding performance as a child actress in 1999.
- Won the ‘Golden Globe Award’ for ‘Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television’ for ‘Grey Gardens’ in 2010.
- She has earned several nominations for the ‘Primetime Emmy Award,’ ‘BAFTA Award,’ and ‘American Comedy Award’.
- Barrymore engaged to Leland Hayward at the age of 16.
- In 1994, Barrymore married Jeremy Thomas, a bar owner. However, the marriage ended within a few weeks.
- She got married to the Canadian comedian Tom Green in 2001, but the pair got divorced after six months. Also, she has dated drummer Fabrizio Moretti, actor Justin Long and others.
- Drew Barrymore tied a knot to Will Kopelman on June 2012. The couple had their first child, daughter Olive Barrymore Kopelman on September 26, 2012 and second child, Frankie Barrymore Kopelman on April 22, 2014. However, Barrymore and Kopelman released a statement confirming that they had separated on April 2016. Barrymore officially filed for divorce on July 2016. Barrymore and Kopelman’s divorce was finalized on August 2016.